A brief introduction to Cam as a journalist, student and leader:
These articles are a compilation of my work at The Student Printz – plus a few freelance opportunities, starting from 2015.
I started my journalism career taking photographs for The University of Southern Mississippi’s student newspaper and progressed to writing news articles. My first news article was terrible. However, after taking a class with Will Tubbs, who I consider to be my mentor and guide to journalism, I progressed in my writing and editing. I began to produce feature articles and in 2015, received third place in the Mississippi Better Newspaper Contest feature division for the first feature article I had written.
While taking classes and working within the Printz, I decided I wanted to try being an editor, too. With hard work writing, producing photographs and editing copy for the paper, I tried for the executive editor position for the 2016 – 2017 school year.
On an April afternoon, I was chosen as executive editor for The Student Printz staff during my senior year of college. A group of my peers and professors selecting me for this position has served as the most rewarding and humbling experience.
As a photojournalist, I owe much of what I have learned to The Printz’ advisor Chuck Cook.
The staff and friends at the Printz – mostly my managing editor and partner Jack Hammett – I learned how to become a better writer, editor and leader. The Mass Communication and Journalism Department at The University of Southern Mississippi – Will Tubbs, Dave Davies, Chris Campbell, Steven Coleman and so many others – gave me everything I needed to become the journalist I am today.
Without the support of dozens of people with the MCJ department, peers at The Printz and Jack, I would be nowhere with nothing.
Here are some of the articles I believe exemplify my ability as a writer, investigative journalist and story teller:
The Student Printz
- SAE national office assigns various sanctions to 25 fraternity men
- SAE to undergo chapter development plan in 2017, still under investigation
- Trump triumphs in 2016 turnover
- UPD investigates game incident
- USM concludes investigation of game incident
- Dale Center receives $100K
- $2.71 million: Gravel lot sold to fund parking, improvements
- Grivno tracks tale of 130-year-old slave
- Church, protestors clash at Shoemaker Square
- Social smoking alleviates anxiety, not hazards
- Bryant passes bill despite enormous opposition
- Tri Delta Phi Epsilon chapter ranks overall in nation
- Freedia deems MS a “Right -to-Twerk” state
- USM alumni create sex-positive space
- Young women face obstacles in search of elective sterilization
- Underlying factors contribute to habitual tardiness
- Photo project showcases pet personalities (3rd place in MSPA Better Newspaper Contest 2015).
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
- Sweetheart sings to soul
- Big Bleach welcomes diversity in punk scene
- ‘The Hateful Eight’ proves a ‘bastard’s’ job well done
The Sun Herald
- From kitchen table to record label ( MS/LA AP award winner)